Suburban ponds inhabit delicacies
Breeding in backyard ponds all living creatures – a favorite hobby of owners of country real estate. If goldfish, crucians and carp have become permanent inhabitants of the personal ponds, sturgeon, crayfish and sturgeon are just beginning to move into HOMESTEAD of the wetlands . But pleasure from contact with fish and reptiles, their owners have the opportunity at any time to please friends rich fishing and waterfowl to treat a delicacy. In the mini-ponds is not too bad for goldfish, red comet and more Japanese koi – large, colorful perennials that are easy to tolerate frosts and the Russians eating out of his hands. From fish ponds in miniature the well-proven starlet
Breeding in backyard ponds all living creatures – a favorite hobby of owners of country real estate. If goldfish, crucians and carp have become permanent inhabitants of the personal ponds, sturgeon, crayfish and sturgeon are just beginning to move into HOMESTEAD of the wetlands. But pleasure from contact with fish and reptiles, their owners have the opportunity at any time to please friends rich fishing and waterfowl to treat a delicacy.
In the mini-ponds is not too bad for goldfish, red comet and more Japanese koi is a large, archaeolgical that can easily tolerate the Russian frosts and eat from his hands. From fish ponds in miniature the well-proven sturgeon. She kept apart, closer to the bottom and feeds on insect larvae and decorative looks better than the neighbors. Only here enjoy the game of fish is a rare achievement. According to the fish farmer Daniel Artyomov, a fellow at the Institute of freshwater fisheries, the main problem of small ponds – turbid dark water.
– After a month of small overgrown pond, the water becomes cloudy, the fish is not visible, says the fish farmer. – Solve the problem helps the facing of the bottom and banks of the pond with light-colored stone or tiles. But even more difficult to ensure in a living body of water purity and water clarity. We need a system of mechanical and biological treatment. But industrial filtration systems, although effective, are not suitable for small ponds, and a commercially available household, according to our data, filter bad. Natural water purifiers – silver carps, feed on plankton and detritus (small particles of organic matter suspended in the water column and settled to the bottom). Mouthparts silver carp filtered water and acts as a filter. A shoal of carp can be run in a small pond, but larger to accommodate carp – it feeds on algae, destroys excess vegetation and hinder its development.
In a small pond can be run or a few big fish, or a flock of small. To increase the number and diversity of inhabitants of the pond, as its transparency, allows the fountain, filter and compressor. But fish can be in muddy water.
– In an overgrown pond can live small unpretentious fish – Rudd, rotan, roach, bitterling, nine-spined stickleback, lake minnow, bobiras that can withstand the low oxygen content. Of the larger gold crucian carp, tench or snakehead, – says doctor of biological Sciences Vladimir Kozlov, an expert on HOMESTEAD fish culture. In a clean pond, these fish can bring in the predators – pike, Zander, perch, ASP, trout, catfish, burbot. For them, weed the fish will be hunted and food. In such a pond can be accommodated and cancers, but it is likely that very soon they will harass the perch is his favorite snack.
To have on the farm their own crayfish is a dream of many owners of ponds. Why nothing comes out, explains biologist Alexander Kozlov who did it.
Crayfish can be kept in any pond suitable for fish, – says Alexander. But, in order to reproduce, you need to have a farm pond with an area of not less than 0.5 ha. Running into the pond live crayfish can survive in it for three years, but to run it correctly: thrown in the water crayfish, which are transported dry, immediately drown. The reason is that without water they release from the gills of moisture, and they should be bshevat (watered from a watering can), or lay along the water’s edge, in which they themselves and crawl.
Not that the crayfish escaped from the pond, have to take special measures.
– If cancers did not like something, they can easily get away with it, – says Alexander Kozlov. Especially great is the risk of losing crayfish at night when they come closer to shore to eat quietly, and before molting, when their skin is most vulnerable and they’re afraid of being eaten. To find a place to hide, put on the bottom pieces of clay pipes, tiles, pot, pitcher, mugs. And let in the pond will be a place with a depth not less than two feet – they will be able to sit out in the heat. High wall bordering the reservoir that will prevent cancers escape.
Cancers get along well with almost all the inhabitants of the lake except for catfish, which are also crawling along the bottom, and newts, and trying to ride the cancer and to enjoy his dinner. By the way, crested newts and marsh turtles, also can decorate the pond, especially if you make an island, where they will bask in the sun.
To buy fish to populate the pond is best in the summer when the water is well warmed. How to buy, transport and release, says Daniel Artemov:
– Before buying check the condition of the scales, if it is damaged, may develop the infection. Choose a live, moving fish with bright eyes and raised and deployed dorsal fin. The curved Pisces can talk about the violations on the part of her nervous system. Do not buy fish if it is scratched on the bottom of the pool is a sign of lesions scales.
– Usually the fish are transported in packages, Packed in boxes with lids, continues Daniel Artemov. By the way do not remove the package from the box to check on the fish, you only once again it will frighten and even damage the fins. And in any case do not let the fish in the pond at once: from the abrupt change in the temperature of the heated package, the fish will experience a lot of stress. Carefully place the sealed bag into the water and let him swim for half an hour on the surface, the water temperature in the bag and the pond is equal. As soon as you release fish, they will swim to the bottom and hide – don’t worry, in a couple of days they must overcome hunger and curiosity and they will swim to the shore, where they can explore and feed.
The average prices for pond fish size 15-30 cm (rubles per individual)